Bolt is a venture capital firm that invests at the intersection of hardware and software. Our full-stack engineering team and multi-million dollar prototyping shops enable entrepreneurs to succeed faster and with less capital. We are seeking a full-time mechanical engineer to join us in our San Francisco office.
We are a fast-paced, dynamic environment where it’s not unusual to work on many different products in a given day. Our work covers the entire product development process including conceptual exploration, hands-on prototyping, engineering analysis, and working with contract manufacturers. As a candidate for this role, you must thrive working in this environment and through the entire process.
This is a perfect role for a seasoned engineer who has shipped generations of products to apply their knowledge in a highly leveraged position across many products and industries.
Like all of our team, this role is highly autonomous and demanding, often with odd hours and a high degree of flexibility in both scope and time.
A Typical Day May Include
- Working closely with Bolt’s industrial designer and mechanical, electrical, and prototyping engineers to refine the design of a knee-rehabilitation device
- Building prototype parts and test equipment in the machine shop for a device that detects childhood asthma
- Whiteboarding manufacturing and assembly ideas for mass production of a blood-collecting health product
- Designing and analyzing injection molded, extruded, machined, cast, welded sheet metal, and purchased components for a new type of home exercise equipment
- Helping set goals for the next six months of development for a portfolio company that makes an outdoor vegetable-growing system
- Validating the cost targets of high-volume production for the product assembly of a retail-analytics product
- Meeting with a potential new portfolio company and determine if their device/system is feasible to build, both from the product and business standpoint
- Helping a team of three engineers interview and hire an industrial designer and ensure that that person integrates into the team
- Attending a meetup in the evening to discuss product development and investment with many hardware startups
- Strong technical background including a BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering or similar
- Five or more years of experience in a design engineering role, ideally having worked with many types of products and through at least one full product-development cycle
- Holistic product design experience, driving system architecture, considering user and cross functional engineering tradeoffs
- Expertise in component and assembly design, including tolerance analysis and DFM
- Expertise in CAD (we typically use SolidWorks)
- Experience scouting vendors and qualifying quality prototype and mass production parts
- Comfortable working in a machine shop, on 3D printers, with laser cutters, etc.
- Familiarity with reliability testing and failure analysis
- Able to understand and learn a wide variety of technologies and markets quickly
- A desire to learn more about the startup/venture capital environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized, inquisitive, and probing
- Nice to have
- FEA experience - structural, thermal, etc
- Assembly fixture design experience
This is a full-time role in San Francisco. Bolt also has offices in Boston, and occasional travel there and to other domestic and international destinations will be required. Can start immediately.
Working for Bolt
Bolt is a venture capital firm designed to address the unique needs of early-stage startups at the intersection of hardware and software. Bolt has $82M under management and focuses on pre-seed and seed-stage companies. In addition to capital, our portfolio companies get support from Bolt's world-class engineering team, access to cutting-edge prototyping shops in San Francisco and Boston, and help with manufacturing.
- 24x7 access to a world-class prototyping shop
- Immersed at the forefront of hardware and connected device startups
- Flexible vacation policy
- Full medical and dental insurance
- 401(k) with employer matching